With the effect of Internet of Things (IoT), new electronic devices are being added to the office devices and we expect that this increase will continue with a great momentum. As such, the increased number of devices increases the workload of IT departments and entails a rethinking of the concept of IT Inventory Management.
What is Inventory Management?
IT (IT or Information Systems) Inventory Management is a set of activities aimed at effectively managing inventory services, reducing IT costs and increasing productivity by inventorying, monitoring and monitoring hardware and software connected to a specific network or stand-alone.
Objectives of Inventory Management
In addition to inventory of software and hardware, it is also important to monitor and maintain these components. In addition, the operating system, software, hardware analysis and license compliance can be aimed to check. Thus, costs can be reduced and productivity can be increased. On the security side, it can be used to control the use of legal and licensed software.
Considerations in Inventory Management
- Establishment of an inventory system where all hardware and software licenses used can be tracked
- User name and hardware naming in a specific order
- Establishment of the IT document structure and ensuring that all contents can be used by authorized persons
- Analyzing the access needs of people other than IT employees and establishing the necessary control mechanisms
- Creation of corporate memory and roadmaps against scenarios such as employee or team change
- Sharing documents related to device and software usage with staff
- Continuous checking of existing licenses. This saves the cost of over-licenses and avoids the legal and security problems associated with the use of unlicensed software.
- Storage of box licenses
- Detect unnecessary software and remove it to prevent system slowdowns
- IT department keeps copies of all hardware and software invoices
- Monitoring of equipment maintenance processes and extending necessary contracts
- Checking the necessary upgrades and improvements of the software
- Tracking of web site services such as domain name and hosting
- Keeping track of the details of what software users use and how
- Centrally monitoring and controlling all changes on the installed system
IT Inventory Management methods
The most familiar and relatively simple method for IT Inventory Management is to maintain the existing inventory in Excel. All hardware and software information in the system can be entered manually in these tables. Software versions, upgrade and update dates, and user information can also be added to the tables. This method can be preferred since it is seen as quite simple in the initial stage. However, as time goes on and the objects to be kept inventory increase, problems may arise on the management side as the updates to the tables will increase and become difficult to follow.
Another method is; to use software specially prepared for inventory management. With this software, inventory of existing hardware and software can be easily extracted and managed. Inventory changes are automatically scanned and processed, saving time and increasing productivity. There are a lot of paid or free software that can be used for IT inventory management and the basic features expected from the software can be listed as follows;
- Software and hardware inventories can be reported
- Software usage tracking
- Change and license tracking
- Financial follow-up of inventory lists
- Comparable to past inventory lists
- Generated reports excel and so on. Available in formats
- Ownership and historical information of the entire inventory can be reported
- Scans can be done manually or automatically by scheduling
- All defined and scanned devices can be added to the network
- The IT team is notified of any hardware or software changes on the network
- Malware, unlicensed, and expired software is notified to the IT team and users
- Software and hardware contract periods can be monitored
- Predefined reports can be renewed periodically
- It can also be aimed to facilitate the follow-up of the hardware devices by means of inventory management to the employees of the company. In order to keep the efficiency of the IT department and other units at the highest level, IT Inventory Management should be considered as an important concept and necessary studies should be performed in accordance with the structure of the company.
- inFlow Inventory
- Sortly Pro
- Zoho Inventory